lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2020]   [Oct]   [2]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
SubjectRe: [DISCUSSION PATCH 00/41] random: possible ways towards NIST SP800-90B compliance
From
Date
On 10/2/20 8:39 AM, Van Leeuwen, Pascal wrote:
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
>> Sent: Friday, October 2, 2020 5:13 PM
>> To: Van Leeuwen, Pascal <pvanleeuwen@rambus.com>
>> Cc: Torsten Duwe <duwe@lst.de>; Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>; linux-crypto@vger.kernel.org; Nicolai Stange
>> <nstange@suse.de>; LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>; Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>; Eric W. Biederman
>> <ebiederm@xmission.com>; Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov@gmail.com>; Ahmed S. Darwish <darwish.07@gmail.com>; Willy
>> Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>; Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org>; Vito Caputo <vcaputo@pengaru.com>; Andreas Dilger
>> <adilger.kernel@dilger.ca>; Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>; Ray Strode <rstrode@redhat.com>; William Jon McCann <mccann@jhu.edu>;
>> zhangjs <zachary@baishancloud.com>; Andy Lutomirski <luto@kernel.org>; Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com>; Lennart
>> Poettering <mzxreary@0pointer.de>; Peter Matthias <matthias.peter@bsi.bund.de>; Marcelo Henrique Cerri
>> <marcelo.cerri@canonical.com>; Neil Horman <nhorman@redhat.com>; Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org>; Julia Lawall
>> <julia.lawall@inria.fr>; Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@oracle.com>; Andy Lavr <andy.lavr@gmail.com>; Eric Biggers
>> <ebiggers@kernel.org>; Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com>; Stephan Müller <smueller@chronox.de>; Petr Tesarik
>> <ptesarik@suse.cz>
>> Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION PATCH 00/41] random: possible ways towards NIST SP800-90B compliance
>>
>> <<< External Email >>>
>> On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 02:34:44PM +0000, Van Leeuwen, Pascal wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
>>>> Sent: Friday, October 2, 2020 4:04 PM
>>>> To: Van Leeuwen, Pascal <pvanleeuwen@rambus.com>
>>>> Cc: Torsten Duwe <duwe@lst.de>; Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>; linux-crypto@vger.kernel.org; Nicolai Stange
>>>> <nstange@suse.de>; LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>; Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>; Eric W. Biederman
>>>> <ebiederm@xmission.com>; Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov@gmail.com>; Ahmed S. Darwish <darwish.07@gmail.com>; Willy
>>>> Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>; Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org>; Vito Caputo <vcaputo@pengaru.com>; Andreas Dilger
>>>> <adilger.kernel@dilger.ca>; Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>; Ray Strode <rstrode@redhat.com>; William Jon McCann
>> <mccann@jhu.edu>;
>>>> zhangjs <zachary@baishancloud.com>; Andy Lutomirski <luto@kernel.org>; Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com>; Lennart
>>>> Poettering <mzxreary@0pointer.de>; Peter Matthias <matthias.peter@bsi.bund.de>; Marcelo Henrique Cerri
>>>> <marcelo.cerri@canonical.com>; Neil Horman <nhorman@redhat.com>; Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org>; Julia Lawall
>>>> <julia.lawall@inria.fr>; Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@oracle.com>; Andy Lavr <andy.lavr@gmail.com>; Eric Biggers
>>>> <ebiggers@kernel.org>; Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com>; Stephan Müller <smueller@chronox.de>; Petr Tesarik
>>>> <ptesarik@suse.cz>
>>>> Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION PATCH 00/41] random: possible ways towards NIST SP800-90B compliance
>>>>
>>>> <<< External Email >>>
>>>> On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 01:35:18PM +0000, Van Leeuwen, Pascal wrote:
>>>>> ** This message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may contain information that is
>>>> confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are prohibited from printing, copying,
>>>> forwarding or saving it. Please delete the message and attachments and notify the sender immediately. **
>>>>
>>>> As per my legal department requests, this is now ignored and deleted on
>>>> my system...
>>>>
>>>> Hint, it's not a valid footer for public mailing lists...
>>>>
>>>> greg k-h
>>> It's automatically added by our company mail server ... not something I can control at all :-(
>>
>> Then your company can not contribute in Linux kernel development, as
>> this is obviously not allowed by such a footer.
>>
> Interesting, this has never been raised as a problem until today ...
> Going back through my mail archive, it looks like they started automatically adding that some
> 3 months ago. Not that they informed anyone about that, it just silently happened.
>
>> Please work with your IT and legal department to fix this.
>>
> Eh ... Greg ... that's not how that works in the real world. In the real world, legal and IT lay
> down the law and you just comply with that (or hack your way around it, if you can ;-).

That's how it worked at $big_companies that I have worked at.

If it's a company/business requirement that you do Linux kernel development work, (is it?)
then they should make that possible on internal systems or give you access to
external email server(s).

> I'm already fighting the good fight trying to keep control of my development machines
> because IT would just love to get rid of those (since not under IT control .... oh dear ...)
> And obviously, you cannot do kernel development on a machine without root access.
> It's annoying enough already to require IT support to provide explicit permission to open
> the task manager on my own company laptop ... grmbl.
>
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> greg k-h
>
> Regards,
> Pascal van Leeuwen
> Silicon IP Architect Multi-Protocol Engines, Rambus Security
> Rambus ROTW Holding BV
> +31-73 6581953
>
> Note: The Inside Secure/Verimatrix Silicon IP team was recently acquired by Rambus.
> Please be so kind to update your e-mail address book with my new e-mail address.
>
>
> ** This message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are prohibited from printing, copying, forwarding or saving it. Please delete the message and attachments and notify the sender immediately. **
>
> Rambus Inc.<http://www.rambus.com>
>


--
~Randy

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2020-10-02 18:32    [W:0.111 / U:0.828 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site